Triple 8 Gotham Helmet with MIPS
In an effort to publicly document what gear I use, and why it is suitable to start first with the most important piece of equipment which is (with much luck) rarely, if never at all used for what it is designed. For most, a helmet ends up being a glorified hat to keep our melon warm and our hair messy and flat.
*Disclaimer. Thankfully my head has received very few traumatic impacts. One helmet was cracked by a frontal impact and discarded. No matter the number of strength of impacts, it is my believe that a helmet should be replaced yearly. All the little bumps and drops endured over a helmet’s life add up to possible weaknesses in the shell. It’s not worth saving cash on a non certified EPS helmet to protect your most valuable asset!
Triple 8 offers many helmets, but most importantly are the dual certified helmets rated by CPSC Bike and ASTM Skate safety standards. Triple 8 gave me a fortunate possibility to promote helmet safety with this very bright orange dual certified pro model helmet, with a graphic designed by Tamara Prader.
video screen grab by Max Meissner in the Orangatang Wheels Kegel release video
Roberto Cobian photo, Giant’s Head
Since then Triple 8 has released a new helmet called the “Gotham” after their NYC roots, which offers a few improvements to their standard helmet.
- – Dual Certified: Complies with ASTM Skate and U.S. CPSC Bike safety standards
- U.S. CPSC Bike ASTM F-1492 Skate
- – ABS Outer Shell with patented Conehead EPS liner technology providing a lighter helmet with greater energy displacement on impact
- – Complete with our renowned Sweatsaver™ Fit Pads for added comfort
- – Adjustable Fit Dial System, with reflective dial, to create a custom fit
- – Grooved EPS for excellent air flow
Brendan Goco photo, Super Mango Clinic, Oslob Philippines 2015
The reason why I chose this helmet is:
- – the helmet is deeper and comes down lower on the head making it fit more snuggly.
- – the ratcheting system at the base of the skull allows the user to custom fit the helmet on the go. This addition makes the helmet feel extremely secure on the head and provides confidence it will continue to protect you while in a crash and not bobble around after the first impact. When I’m biking and my posture is more upright I can tighten it down more. Alternatively when I’m tucking in a crouched position and putting more flex in my neck, the ratchet can be loosened on the fly making it snug and comfortable, but not adding extra tension in the neck.
- – for one, the fit is excellent. The fit of the helmet fits both ‘egg’ and ‘tomato’ shaped heads, though slightly more suited to ‘egg’. Also, consider if you do have a tomato shaped head and want a standard type helmet as shown above (not the gotham) the single certified helmet by Triple 8 will accommodate you. The dual certified (shown above) also fits ‘egg’ shaped heads supremely well.
Now, the reason to choose MIPS!
MIPS sets a new standard in helmet safety. Developed by brain surgeons and scientists to reduce rotational forces on the brain caused by angled impacts to the head.
In a helmet with MIPS Brain Protection System the shell and the liner are separable by a low friction layer. When the helmet is subjected to an angled impact, the low friction layer allows the helmet to slide relative to the head. The layer imitates the brains protective fluid by rotating upon angled impact forces.
- – reduces rotational forces in an angled impact
- – enables rotation on multi-directional impacts
- – rotational energy is absorbed and redistributed by the MIPS layer
- – learn more at www.mipshelmet.com
Now where can you find the Triple 8 Gotham!
If your local retailer doesn’t already stock Triple 8, ask them to!